Sunday, April 13, 2008

from a camel's toe to an elephant's vulva

This has nothing to do with anything but had me in stitches, and it sort of does relate to patternmaking, and Kathleen points out an important aspect of sustainability: beauty. Of course it's subjective and in the eye of the beholder, and while I see beauty in the processes and the skills employed to create the final outcome, it's there that I don't see any. If this appeared on a dark street, I would run. The outcome reminds me of all those 'clothes for the disabled', designed by physiotherapists, doctors and what-nots, where function overruns form to the point of creating a segregating outcome that reeks of 'the other'. I applaud the noble aims of the project (more than a year old; I hope everyone has recovered...) and would love to see it rerun with a designer involved (I'm presuming there wasn't one).

Oh, the title? Read the comments following Kathleen's post.

No comments: